Tuesday, November 24, 2020

The Trading Post #160: It's Like Having My Own Card Shop

No sooner did I get caught up on trade posts than more started showing up. With no expectation of anything in return, I fired off a card to Daniel at It's Like Having My Own Card Shop, a Kirby Puckett duplicate I knew I had (help him with 1989 Cap'n Crunch if you can!). Nevertheless, he returned the favor with a card from my favorite Topps brand, and that of course is Stadium Club.

I know that my Wish List tab is a tremendously inadequate representation of what I'm actually on the hunt for, but I did put one Coors Field card on it from 2014 Stadium Club. Daniel sent it.

2014 Stadium Club #93 Chris Owings (RC)

My Coors Field frankenset is slowly but surely coming along. It's a long way off from completion. Truthfully, it's a long way off from even having most of the numbers filled. But each year gives me more candidates for the list, and now I can cross #93 off. The background shows the left field wall, which has some chain link gaps below the yellow line, which you can see here. Also there's one fan with just a hint of purple, and it's an NL West team, so the odds are good that I've guessed the right stadium.

Side note, the Rookie Card logo on this 2014 Stadium Club design nestles in perfectly and is in about the most unobtrusive spot I can ever remember seeing.

Pictured is Chris Owings, then a Diamondbacks rookie. I can't tell exactly which game, but it's likely this is from the September 20th-22nd, 2013 series in Denver. Owings was a September call-up then and was just getting a taste of the big leagues. We have another indicator that this was from 2013, and that's the #19 patch worn on Owings's right sleeve. That wasn't for a player, but rather to honor the memory of nineteen wildland firefighters that perished in Arizona's Yarnell Hill Fire. Fortunately, no firefighters died in the recent round of Colorado wildfires, and I certainly hope that continues to be the case.

Chris Owings got a front row seat for the smoky Colorado air earlier this year, as he signed with the Rockies for the 2020 season. The versatile player appeared all over the diamond, although he played in only seventeen games before being sidelined with hamstring troubles. It will likely go down as a Short-Term Stop, but it was long enough for Rockies fans to at least learn his name.

Kind of.

I say that because my girlfriend and I had a running joke this season. During a game, a camera happened to catch the back of his uniform. The tall, squarish shape of the letters and the wrinkle of his jersey made the "O" look more like a "D", which quickly turned into us both calling him "Dwings". As in, "Dwings made a nice play there." "I think Dwings is on deck." "Get in here, Dwings just hit a home run!" That sort of thing.

He's a free agent once again, and I hope he lands somewhere in the Majors. He's been a journeyman since he first reached free agency, so odds are another team picks him up. If he lands in the NL West again, he might even get another slot in my Coors Field frankenset.

Thanks to Daniel for the trade, and good luck with the rest of the Cap'n Crunch set!


2 comments:

  1. I wondered why this card was on your want list, but was glad to see it because I knew I had one for you. The Coors Field thing makes sense. Thanks again for the Puckett!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the tidbit on the #19 patch, because I would have thought it was for a former player or an executive within the franchise.

    ReplyDelete